Update from Logistics and Field Teams

Mike Lee

Mike Lee, a native of Chicago, graduated from Loyola Marymount University with a degree in Creative Writing. At LMU, Mike developed international and domestic volunteer trips and served as the Volunteer Coordinator for the Student Veterans Organization. Mike’s professional background is in advertising and marketing, and has experience in executing large print and digital campaigns for non-profit and tourism clients. He lives in Los Angeles where he thinks a lot about dogs, bourbon, and the Chicago Bears.

Last night, a team of five volunteers, four logisticians and one surgeon, deployed to Manila to establish a supply chain with a rear-staging area in Manila and a forward operating base in Tacloban.

In addition to facilitating search and rescue, patient extraction, and medical relief, the team stationed in Tanauan is conducting assessments of the area to evaluate the needs of the expanding operation. These assessments, captured through Palantir Technology, will also assist the USMC and Philippine government in dispatching additional NGOs and recovery groups.

We are currently assembling a DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Team) to replace Mammoth Medical Missions, whose surgeons demobilize this Friday, and we are collaborating with the International Medical Corps to continue delivering immediate medical assistance.

We got a quick update from our field journalist Kirk Jackson yesterday. Communications with our field team is proving difficult and bandwidth is severely limited. Teams are checking in with HQ at various intervals via satphone but we’re currently working on different solutions to increase our comms with the team in Tanauan. Kirk writes:

“LAX to Taipei and Taipei to Manila. That’s a lot of sitting… and a lot of thinking. We yanked and stacked those bags off the baggage check belt with pent-up energy and loaded up our rides for a quick trip to the Philippines Air Force base. A quick briefing by team leader JC McGreehan on the tarmac, and we loaded up on a KC-130J for a trip to Tacloban. Once there, the light-hearted banter that had kept us awake ceased. Before us stood both the skeletal remains of an airport and hundreds of locals seeking to be counted as the lucky few who get a spot on outgoing planes.

This morning we head south toward Tanauan on Filipino Air Force choppers to make first contact with villagers and take assessments of their situation and provide immediate medical care.

More to follow.”