Team Rubicon (TR) is seeking a Deputy Director to guide the development and continued refinement of disaster capabilities that allow TR’s skilled, experienced, driven volunteer base to help people on their worst day. This position reports to the Vice President of Programs and Field Operations and is located at our National Headquarters in Los Angeles, CA.
The Capabilities lead will take on the analysis, selection, and development of new mission scope from a deep understanding of the disaster and humanitarian landscape and TR’s member base, to the focused selection of specific mission areas that drive the greatest possible impact. With the opportunity to lead and grow a team, this person will identify discrete capabilities, define TR’s practice, develop training to support, and identify the partnerships, equipment, and supply chain necessary to increase Team Rubicon’s scope of practice. As our member base and organizational capacity continue to grow, Team Rubicon aims to support communities in need in all aspects of the disaster cycle – Mitigation, Response, and Recovery.
In addition to new capabilities, the individual that fills this role will review, refine, and implement the results of after action reporting. In close coordination with Team Rubicon’s ten Regions and the National Operations Center, the capabilities team will analyze feedback, triage urgent items for immediate implementation, and define the process for annual capabilities review and update.
TR has a unique culture that requires individuals foolish enough to think they can change the world, and smart enough to have a chance. Every day is a challenge, but every month brings new opportunities for an organization that is quickly becoming a household name in disaster response. Candidates for the position are required to balance a team-player attitude with a strong command presence.
Only the most awesome candidates should apply. Period.
- Lead, influence, motivate – Service and Cultural Principles
- Build and manage TR’s capabilities development and refinement process
- Define the standard for a capabilities development package – scope of practice, training pipeline, partnerships, equipment, supply chain, etc.
- Lead the Training Content development team in support of current and new capabilities
- Develop the process to support urgent and annual corrective actions to all capabilities and supporting documentation
- Work directly with HQ, NOC, and Regional Leadership for after action report consolidation and the improvement of Field Operations
- Strive for constant improvement – attack challenges (opportunities) with creative solutions
- Attend relevant public speaking events and conferences
- Approaches tasks in a planned and calculated manner
- Methodically and logically analyzes situations
- Social and interpersonal skills that support rapport-building with colleagues, TR regional volunteers, and external partners/stakeholders
- Detail-oriented; appreciates tedious, multi-faceted dynamics
- Adapts to constantly changing circumstances and parameters
- Excellent training, coaching and mentoring skills
- Exceptionally skilled in analyzing, organizing, coordinating, evaluating, and recommending solutions to support organizational priorities and requirements
- Emotionally resilient; tolerates stress
- High level of writing and communication skills
- Practitioner of technology – able to learn, manipulate, teach, and drive user adoption of 10+ cloud-based technology platforms and workflow tools
Minimal Experience and Background
- Broad experience in disaster relief and humanitarian space, degree(s) a plus
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the military and/or emergency management community
- Understanding of and/or first-hand experience with TR’s disaster response history and capabilities
- Ability to travel – 20-30%
- Complete training courses as recommended and made available by TR
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter demonstrating exceptional writing skills and how you are the ideal solution to this need to: [email protected]