Team Rubicon (TR) is seeking a hands-on, process-minded executive with a passion for start-up environments to play a critical role in the development and execution of Team Rubicon’s national strategy. The CIO will be responsible for the direction, planning, implementation and security of all of the nationwide information systems of the organization. CIO will also ensure disaster response teams have the necessary equipment and training to successfully execute TR’s mission. Additionally, he/she will facilitate the organization’s ability to obtain and analyze detailed metrics, enhance our technology tools and streamline practices used to gain financial and operational efficiency. The CIO will lead our existing IT team, dedicated to the delivery of technology systems in support of both field and business operations. Interpersonal skills will be critical, as the CIO will be expected to maintain key relationships with C-Suite level peers and some of Silicon Valley’s top technology companies. The right person will have experience successfully facilitating progressive change and development in a rapidly scaling organization. This position is based out of our National Office in Los Angeles, CA.
Team Rubicon is a rapidly growing, nation-wide disaster response non-profit organization that recruits, organizes, trains and deploys military veterans to respond to disasters. Founded in 2010, the organization now has over 40,000 volunteers, about 70 full-time staff and an annual budget nearing fifteen million dollars, with each of these numbers growing substantially year over year. Technology will help us scale smartly, but only if it’s led by the right individual. Is that you?
TR has a unique culture that requires individuals foolish enough to think they can change the world, and smart enough to have a chance. Every day is a challenge, but every month brings new opportunities for an organization that is quickly becoming a household name in disaster response and veteran reintegration. Candidates for the position are required to balance a team-player attitude with a strong command presence.
Only the most awesome candidates should apply. Period.
- Hone in on TR’s long term vision and implement new or revised information processes and systems to achieve it.
- Assess existing infrastructure to determine the optimal portfolio of technology tools to best meet the needs of the organization at large, our staff and our growing member base.
- Procure and manage technology partners in successful delivery of services.
- Manage and cultivate existing relationships with technology partners and funders to secure and expand revenue streams and/or in-kind service offerings.
- Direct and manage information technology strategic plans, policies, programs and schedules in support of business and field operations.
- Ensure consistency, reliability and security of TR’s cloud-based enterprise systems.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure adequate training for all end users on all applicable platforms.
- Create, maintain and enforce written policies and procedures related to all technology systems.
- Develop and maintain staff expertise in current and anticipated information technologies.
- Ensure a strong technology service organization to manage user expectations and effectively resolve conflict in order to deliver effective, timely and cost-effective services.
- Manage staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and monitor results.
- Develop and manage technology department budget and expenditures according to organizational priorities.
- As needed, publically represent Team Rubicon with the media and external constituency groups building excitement for our mission.
Minimal Experience and Background
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters preferred
- 7+ years of experience in information technology, start-up organization with all or near all cloud-based systems strongly preferred
- Experience managing technology systems across multiple locations
- Demonstrated success managing sensitive information (PII) securely
- Military or emergency management experience strongly preferred
- Fundraising experience and/or the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Track record of success in organizational management; coaching senior level staff to manage and develop high-performance teams and developing and implementing program strategies
- Exceptional business acumen
- Understanding of and/or first-hand experience with TR’s disaster response mission, history and capabilities
- Experience working with analytics to design and implement the strategy needed to methodically and iteratively structure, test and validate data-driven insights from complex sources of data.
- Demonstrated excellence developing and mentoring highly motivated and engaged staff.
- Demonstrated big picture thinking.
- Approaches tasks in a planned and calculated manner.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the CEO and COO of a multi-dimensional entity.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Methodically and logically analyzes situations.
- Detail-oriented; appreciates tedious, multi-faceted dynamics.
- Adapts to constantly changing circumstances and parameters.
- Emotionally resilient; tolerates stress.
- Highest level of interpersonal and communication skills.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.