Forward Watch: 3 September 2021
Team Rubicon is actively responding to five separate disasters in 15+ locations across the map and planning to deploy response teams into 12 more. Read on for a breakdown on how Team Rubicon is serving those in need.
The situation for resettlement of Afghan families is dynamic and changing on a daily basis.
Team Rubicon is not directly involved in evacuation efforts, but is offering assistance to meet needs associated with the relocation of Afghan families into communities across the United States and roles our volunteers can play in their resettlement.
Team Rubicon is prioritizing immediate needs in locations dictated by the Department of State and Department of Defense. The needs and services are being coordinated through each of the bases and Team Rubicon will continue to assess additional locations as opportunities arise.
TR has been asked to engage. Starting on Monday, August 30, Team Rubicon will be supporting the management of donated goods, setting up the logistics at each donation point for collections and distribution in the following three locations:
- Volk Field & Fort McCoy- Wisconsin
- Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst—New Jersey
- Fort Bliss—Texas/New Mexico
- Dona Ana Range/Holloman AFB – New Mexico
- Fort Pickett – Virginia
- Camp Atterbury – Indiana (9/4)
- Quantico – Virginia (9/5)
Team Rubicon is providing site management and logistical support for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management at the reception point in the Dulles International Airport in support of the Emergency Repatriation Center’s efforts. Team Rubicon has provided an interpreter to assist with COVID vaccinations at the Dulles Expo Center.
- Team Rubicon will assist in the setting up of housing units for the newly arrived Afghan families in Denver, Colorado.
- Team Rubicon is engaging its network of Afghan linguists to assist in the resettlement efforts.
- Donation and partnership inquiries should go to [email protected]
Team Rubicon’s recon teams are assessing the storm damage in Southeast Louisiana and Southwest Mississippi. Recon teams are focused on the cities of Houma and Hammond, LA, and are planning to travel to Jean Lafitte and Laplace once they become accessible.
- There are Team Rubicon members embedded in the Louisiana and Mississippi State Emergency Operations Centers working in coordination with state and local emergency managers.
- Our route clearance teams are continuing to clear roads in the Hammond area.
- Team Rubicon Greyshirts are assisting with Crisis Cleanup by answering calls remotely. Our responses in Hammond and Houma has begun as of Sept. 3.Greyshirts will be conducting muck-outs, roof tarping and expedient home repairs, debris removal, and chainsaw operations.
- We are planning to send recon teams this weekend to Jefferson (Laffite and Jean Laffite), Lafourche, and Plaqueminas parishes in Louisiana.
- We are working to send recon teams to PA, MD, NJ and NYC to determine needs after intense flooding.
EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE IN HAITI
A 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti about 125KM from Port-au-Prince on Aug. 14.
- Team Rubicon has concluded its operations at the Hospital Immaculée Conception in Les Cayes. Our efforts helped to treat 1,052 Haitians in need.
- Our latest focus is to assist in the city of Baradères by setting up EMTs and a WASH pilot.
Learn how Team Rubicon’s medical volunteers are serving the people of Haiti after early August’s earthquake through the video below.
- Team Rubicon is launching an operation beginning Aug. 28 focusing on muckouts, debris removal and roof tarping. This operation will last at least two weeks but additional weeks are possible.
- Team Rubicon is starting a flood response in Haines Borough on Sept 2. The focus will be on mucking out homes after floods and mudslides.
RETURN TO THE NAVAJO NATION
Team Rubicon has returned to the Navajo Nation beginning on August 15 after an increase in COVID cases from due to the Delta variant strain. This is our third support mission to the Navajo Nation to help fight against COVID.
Greyshirts are assisting medical staff at the Gallup Indian Medical Center by providing EMT’s, paramedics, ER-experienced Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and Licensed Practical Nurses.
Greyshirts are decompressing the medical center and assisting with vaccine distribution.
Take a look into how Team Rubicon volunteers go above and beyond each and every day to aid the NAVAJO NATION in the fight against COVID-19 below:
Team Rubicon has deployed a medical team to UGANDA to assist in rising cases of COVID-19. The operation began on August 8.
- There are currently two teams on the ground. One is providing an ICU Unit and a regional hospital in the city of Entebbe and the other is assisting with COVID patients in a regional hospital in the city of Siroti.
Take an eyewitness look into Team Rubicon’s recent International Response to Papua New Guinea’s COVID-19 surge in the video below:
LONG TERM OPERATIONS
Resilient home repair on wood-framed, single-family houses is our primary focus. Depending on the damage, this may include roof repair, floor replacement, wall and ceiling installation, door and window replacement, and additional interior and exterior work required for restoration.
- HOUSTON REBUILD – TEXAS
- After Team Rubicon’s three-month response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the organization launched a two-year recovery effort to rebuild 100 homes in the Houston area.
- In Houston, 109 homes have been rebuilt to date, one is under construction and one in planning.
- GULF COAST REBUILD – LOUISIANA and TEXAS
- In the Gulf Coast, 10 homes have been rebuilt, six are under construction and 13 have been approved and are in the planning phase.
- Team Rubicon has continued its efforts in long-term recovery through home rebuilding after the successes in Houston. The new operation focuses on the Gulf Coast, specifically Calcasieu Parish, LA., and Orange County, TX.
- This rebuild effort in the region of the Gulf Coast is Team Rubicon’s fourth investment to reach beyond the immediate response phase of the disaster cycle and into the recovery phase to get homeowners back into their homes as quickly as possible.
Learn more about the impact of Team Rubicon’s home recovery efforts through the video below.