Forward Watch: 27 August 2021
Team Rubicon is actively responding to three separate disasters in nine locations across the map and planning to deploy response teams into 11 more. Read on for a breakdown on how Team Rubicon is serving those in need.
TROPICAL DEPRESSION 9 has upgraded into HURRICANE IDA as of Friday afternoon. Team Rubicon is monitoring what will likely become this storm that is likely to make landfall on Sunday in the Gulf Coast.
EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE IN HAITI
A 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti Saturday morning about 125KM from Port-au-Prince. Tropical Depression Grace also passed through the area earlier this week bringing wind and rain.
Greyshirt medical providers are working in the local ER and NICU, and since beginning support, have seen 500+ patient cases. Team Rubicon is assessing the situation to see if there is a need to stand up our WASH capabilities.
- We have also been asked to support the hard-to-reach community of Baraderes and recon teams have been assembled.
Learn more about how Team Rubicon’s medical volunteers are serving the people of Haiti after early August’s earthquake through the video below.
- NEW MEXICO
- Team Rubicon is providing a flood response operation that will consist of muck outs, debris removal, and chainsaw operations in La Union, NM. Greyshirts began this operation on Aug 25.
- Team Rubicon is launching an operation beginning Aug. 28 focusing on muckouts, debris removal and roof tarping. This operation will last at least two weeks but additional weeks are possible.
- Team Rubicon is starting a flood response operation in Globe, AZ beginning Aug. 27. In response to monsoonal floods, Greyshirts will perform muckouts to homes in the area.
RETURN TO THE NAVAJO NATION
Team Rubicon has returned to the Navajo Nation beginning on August 15 after an increase in COVID cases from due to the Delta variant strain. This is our third support mission to the Navajo Nation to help fight against COVID.
Greyshirts are assisting medical staff at the Gallup Indian Medical Center by providing EMT’s, paramedics, ER-experienced Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and Licensed Practical Nurses.
Greyshirts are decompressing the medical center and assisting with vaccine distribution.
Take a look into how Team Rubicon volunteers go above and beyond each and every day to aid the NAVAJO NATION in the fight against COVID-19 below:
Team Rubicon has deployed a medical team to Uganda to assist in rising cases of COVID-19. The operation began on August 8.· The team on the ground is providing medical training in Entebbe.
Take an eyewitness look into Team Rubicon’s recent International Response to Papua New Guinea’s COVID-19 surge in the video below:
LONG TERM OPERATIONS
Resilient home repair on wood-framed, single-family houses is our primary focus. Depending on the damage, this may include roof repair, floor replacement, wall and ceiling installation, door and window replacement, and additional interior and exterior work required for restoration.
- HOUSTON REBUILD – TEXAS
- After Team Rubicon’s three-month response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the organization launched a two-year recovery effort to rebuild 100 homes in the Houston area.
- In Houston, 109 homes have been rebuilt to date, one is under construction and one in planning.
- GULF COAST REBUILD – LOUISIANA and TEXAS
- In the Gulf Coast, 10 homes have been rebuilt, six are under construction and 13 have been approved and are in the planning phase.
- Team Rubicon has continued its efforts in long-term recovery through home rebuilding after the successes in Houston. The new operation focuses on the Gulf Coast, specifically Calcasieu Parish, LA., and Orange County, TX.
- This rebuild effort in the region of the Gulf Coast is Team Rubicon’s fourth investment to reach beyond the immediate response phase of the disaster cycle and into the recovery phase to get homeowners back into their homes as quickly as possible.
Learn more about the impact of Team Rubicon’s home recovery efforts through the video below.