Forward Watch: 23 April 2021
Team Rubicon is actively responding to three separate disaster categories in 30 cities across the country, and planning to deploy response teams into 19 more. Read on for a breakdown on how Team Rubicon is serving those in need.
COVID-19 VACCINATION SUPPORT
As of April 23, Team Rubicon has helped administer more than 1,310,552 COVID-19 vaccinations across 58 cities.
Volunteers are providing:
Logistical planning support
Miscellaneous wrap-around support services (Traffic control, queue management, sign-in administration…)
Our goal is to provide vaccine distribution support so the healthcare providers can continue to provide primary care services or vaccinate. You can take a closer look at our vaccination work in the video below, spotlighting our site in Hurst, Texas.
NON COVID-19 OPERATIONS
LYONS – Team Rubicon is preparing fire mitigation operations in several small mountain communities north of Boulder. Work will include chainsaw operations, hazard tree removal, thinning and removing ladder fuels, and clearing burnt trees. This area was heavily affected by the 2020 Calwood Fire. This operation is planned to begin April 30.
DERECHO STORM RESPONSE
CEDAR RAPIDS – Team Rubicon is preparing a response to provide chainsaw operations and debris removal in the area. The work is part of a continued response after a derecho storm in August 2020. This operation is scheduled to run April 21 to 26.
Team Rubicon has an ongoing medical decompression mission in Papua New Guinea that began as of April 6.
Greyshirts, including 1 doctor and 4 nurses, a team lead, and logistician are working to support hospital operations in response to a surge in COVID-19 cases.
Learn more about one of our past international medical operations through the video below.
- Houston Rebuild – Texas
- After Team Rubicon’s three-month response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the organization launched a two-year recovery effort to rebuild 100 homes in the Houston area.
- o TR has partnered with SBP to identify Harvey-impacted residents in the greatest need for assistance and has currently completed 108 home rebuilds.
- Gulf Coast Rebuild – Louisiana and Texas
- As of March 16, seven home rebuilds have been completed, five are under construction/approved.
- Team Rubicon has continued its efforts in long-term recovery through home rebuilding after the successes in Houston. The new operation focuses on the Gulf Coast, specifically Calcasieu Parish, LA., and Orange County, TX.
- This rebuild effort in the region is Team Rubicon’s fourth investment to reach beyond the immediate response phase of the disaster cycle and into the recovery phase to get homeowners back into their homes as quickly as possible.
- Resilient home repair on wood-framed, single-family houses is our primary focus. Depending on the damage, this may include roof repair, floor replacement, wall and ceiling installation, door and window replacement, and additional interior and exterior work required for restoration.
Learn more about the impact of Team Rubicon’s Rebuild efforts with the video below.