Forward Watch: 21 May 2021
Team Rubicon is actively responding to three separate disaster categories in 14 cities across the country, and planning to deploy response teams into 11 more. Read on for a breakdown on how Team Rubicon is serving those in need.
Team Rubicon is preparing to respond to significant flooding in multiple areas in Texas and Louisiana and in Natoma, KS.
- Cities include:
- Kansas – Natoma
- Louisiana – Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and Lake Charles
- Texas – Beaumont, Orange, Corpus Christi, Victoria and the Rio Grande Valley.
- Cities include:
Team Rubicon will perform a storm response operation to remove downed trees in Dauphin, PA May 22-24Storm Response.
COVID-19 VACCINATION SUPPORT
As of May 21, Team Rubicon has helped administer more than 1,600,846 COVID-19 vaccinations across 102 cities.
Volunteers are providing:
Logistical planning support
Miscellaneous wrap-around support services (Traffic control, queue management, sign-in administration…)
Our goal is to provide vaccine distribution support so the healthcare providers can continue to provide primary care services or vaccinate.
You can take a closer look at our vaccination work in the video below, spotlighting our site in FONTANA, CALIFORNIA:
Wildfires are bound to happen, but the damage left and the impact to communities can be minimized by performing volunteer-led mitigation operations ahead of wildfire season.
Team Rubicon provides chainsaw operations, thinning and removing dead vegetation that can act as wildfire fuel, and clearing trees and brush in high threat wildfire areas.
Upcoming operations include:
- Drake, CO – May 22-23
- Crestline, CA – May 16-24
- Take a look into what a wildfire mitigation operation entails with this video from HEALDSBURG, CALIFORNIA below:
MEDICAL OPS | PAPUA NEW GUINEA
On 6 April, Team Rubicon launched a medical decompression mission to Papua New Guinea. Greyshirts, including 1 doctor and 3 nurses, a team lead, and a designated logistician are supporting hospital operations in response to a surge in COVID-19 cases.
- Team Rubicon is supporting the MT Hagen Hospital in the Western Highlands in the COVID ward, pediatrics and the ICU, and have assisted 318 patients.
- Team Rubicon is responding in coordination with the PNG Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization.
- Team Rubicon has been asked to extend services and is currently assessing opportunities to continue support.
MEDICAL OPS | INDIA
Team Rubicon is standing by to provide medical aid should a request be made.
Learn more about one of our volunteers who’s lead past international operations through the video below.
LONG TERM OPERATIONS
Houston Rebuild – Texas
- After Team Rubicon’s three-month response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the organization launched a two-year recovery effort to rebuild 100 homes in the Houston area.
- In Houston, 109 homes have been rebuilt to date, one is under construction and one in planning.
Gulf Coast Rebuild – Louisiana and Texas
- In the Gulf Coast, nine homes have been rebuilt, six are under construction and 10 are in planning.
- Team Rubicon has continued its efforts in long-term recovery through home rebuilding after the successes in Houston. The new operation focuses on the Gulf Coast, specifically Calcasieu Parish, LA., and Orange County, TX.
This rebuild effort in the region of the Gulf Coast is Team Rubicon’s fourth investment to reach beyond the immediate response phase of the disaster cycle and into the recovery phase to get homeowners back into their homes as quickly as possible.
Resilient home repair on wood-framed, single-family houses is our primary focus. Depending on the damage, this may include roof repair, floor replacement, wall and ceiling installation, door and window replacement, and additional interior and exterior work required for restoration.
Learn more about the impact of Team Rubicon’s Rebuild efforts with the video below.