Forward Watch: 17 September 2021
Team Rubicon is actively responding to four separate disasters in 17+ locations across the map and planning to deploy response teams into 11 more. Read on for a breakdown on how Team Rubicon is serving those in need.
The situation for resettlement of Afghan families is dynamic and changing on a daily basis.
Team Rubicon is not directly involved in evacuation efforts, but is offering assistance to meet needs associated with the relocation of Afghan families into communities across the United States and roles our volunteers can play in their resettlement.
Team Rubicon is prioritizing immediate needs in locations dictated by the Department of State and Department of Defense. The needs and services are being coordinated through each of the bases and Team Rubicon will continue to assess additional locations as opportunities arise.
Team Rubicon is supporting the management of donated goods, setting up the logistics at each donation point for collections and distribution, and providing language translation services in the following locations:
- Volk Field & Fort McCoy- Wisconsin
- Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst—New Jersey
- Fort Bliss—Texas/New Mexico
- Dona Ana Range/Holloman AFB – New Mexico
- Fort Pickett – Virginia
- Camp Atterbury – Indiana
Team Rubicon will assist in the setting up of housing units for the newly arrived Afghan families in Denver, Colorado.
Team Rubicon is providing site management and logistical support for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management at the reception point in the Dulles International Airport in support of the Emergency Repatriation Center’s efforts. Team Rubicon has provided an interpreter to assist with COVID vaccinations at the Dulles Expo Center.
Donation and partnership inquiries should go to [email protected]
Since operations began, Greyshirts have mucked-out homes, tarped roofs, bucked/limbed damaged trees, and used heavy equipment to remove debris from 145 homes in the following locations:
St. Charles, Missouri
St. John the Baptist, Louisiana
Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana
In the north, Greyshirts have conducted muck-outs and debris removal services from 29 homes in the following locations, and continue to serve those with needs in the area:
Manville, New Jersey
- Livingston, New Jersey.
EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE IN HAITI
A 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti about 125KM from Port-au-Prince on Aug. 14.
- Team Rubicon has concluded its operations at the Hospital Immaculée Conception in Les Cayes. Our teams provided medical assistance and patient care, treating 1,052 Haitians in total.
Our medical volunteers have concluded their operations and have returned home.
Learn how Team Rubicon’s medical volunteers are serving the people of Haiti after early August’s earthquake through the video below.
RETURN TO THE NAVAJO NATION
Team Rubicon has returned to the Navajo Nation beginning on August 15 after an increase in COVID cases from due to the Delta variant strain. This is our third support mission to the Navajo Nation to help fight against COVID.
Greyshirts are assisting medical staff at the Gallup Indian Medical Center by providing EMT’s, paramedics, ER-experienced Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and Licensed Practical Nurses.
Greyshirts are decompressing the medical center and assisting with vaccine distribution.
Take a look into how Team Rubicon volunteers go above and beyond each and every day to aid the NAVAJO NATION in the fight against COVID-19 below:
Team Rubicon has deployed a medical team to Uganda to assist in rising cases of COVID-19. The operation began on August 8.
Our team has seen more 538 patients in total and is concluding the operation..
Take an eyewitness look into Team Rubicon’s recent International Response to Papua New Guinea’s COVID-19 surge in the video below:
LONG TERM OPERATIONS
Resilient home repair on wood-framed, single-family houses is our primary focus. Depending on the damage, this may include roof repair, floor replacement, wall and ceiling installation, door and window replacement, and additional interior and exterior work required for restoration.
- HOUSTON REBUILD – TEXAS
- After Team Rubicon’s three-month response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the organization launched a two-year recovery effort to rebuild 100 homes in the Houston area.
- In Houston, 109 homes have been rebuilt to date, one is under construction and one in planning.
- GULF COAST REBUILD – LOUISIANA and TEXAS
- In the Gulf Coast, 10 homes have been rebuilt, six are under construction and 13 have been approved and are in the planning phase.
- Team Rubicon has continued its efforts in long-term recovery through home rebuilding after the successes in Houston. The new operation focuses on the Gulf Coast, specifically Calcasieu Parish, LA., and Orange County, TX.
- This rebuild effort in the region of the Gulf Coast is Team Rubicon’s fourth investment to reach beyond the immediate response phase of the disaster cycle and into the recovery phase to get homeowners back into their homes as quickly as possible.
Learn more about the impact of Team Rubicon’s home recovery efforts through the video below.