Forward Watch: 16 July 2021
Team Rubicon is actively responding to four separate disasters in 11 locations across the country and planning to deploy response teams into 13 more. Read on for a breakdown on how Team Rubicon is serving those in need.
- Team Rubicon is responding throughout Detroit, MI after heavy rains caused widespread flooding and should run through July 28. Work will include muck outs, debris removal, and disaster mappings and work-order management.
GILA COUNTRY, ARIZONA
- Team Rubicon is returning to Gila County to fill and transport sandbags to prevent flood from summer monsoons July 16-18. We did a similar operation in the area June 24-28.
- Team Rubicon is responding in Dexter after tornadoes uprooted trees and downed power lines. Greyshirts are performing chainsaw operations and debris removal from July 12-17.
- Team Rubicon will respond to the city of Franklin on July 17 and 18 to help reduce the risk of flooding by performing chainsaw operations after a recent tornado.
Take a look into how Greyshirt volunteers go above and beyond to help others in their response to tornadoes in DuPage County outside of Chicago, Illinois below:
Wildfire Mitigation and Response
Wildfires are bound to happen but the damage left and the impact to communities can be minimized by performing mitigation operations ahead of wildfire season.
· Team Rubicon provides chainsaw operations, thinning and removing ladder fuels, and clearing trees and brush in high threat wildfire areas. Upcoming operations include:
- Boulder Creek, CA – July 23-31
- Glen Haven, CO – July 23-25
- Walsenburg, CO – Aug. 6-8
- Talkeenta, AK – Aug. 6-13
- Take a look into how Greyshirt volunteers go above and beyond to help others in their response to the fires of ELIZABETH, COLORADO below:
COVID-19 VACCINATION SUPPORT
As of July 16, Team Rubicon has helped administer more than 1,607,457 COVID-19 vaccinations across 106 cities.
Volunteers are providing:
- Medical support
- Logistical planning support
- Miscellaneous wrap-around support services (Traffic control, queue management, sign-in administration…)
- EOC support
Our goal is to provide vaccine distribution support so the healthcare providers can continue to provide primary care services or vaccinate.
You can take a closer look at our vaccination work in the video below, spotlighting our site in PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA:
LONG TERM OPERATIONS
Resilient home repair on wood-framed, single-family houses is our primary focus. Depending on the damage, this may include roof repair, floor replacement, wall and ceiling installation, door and window replacement, and additional interior and exterior work required for restoration.
HOUSTON REBUILD – TEXAS
- After Team Rubicon’s three-month response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the organization launched a two-year recovery effort to rebuild 100 homes in the Houston area.
- In Houston, 109 homes have been rebuilt to date, one is under construction and one in planning.
GULF COAST REBUILD – LOUISIANA and TEXAS
- In the Gulf Coast, 10 homes have been rebuilt, six are under construction and 13 have been approved and are in the planning phase.
- Team Rubicon has continued its efforts in long-term recovery through home rebuilding after the successes in Houston. The new operation focuses on the Gulf Coast, specifically Calcasieu Parish, LA., and Orange County, TX.
- This rebuild effort in the region of the Gulf Coast is Team Rubicon’s fourth investment to reach beyond the immediate response phase of the disaster cycle and into the recovery phase to get homeowners back into their homes as quickly as possible.
Learn more about the impact of Team Rubicon’s home recovery efforts through the video below.